Director, Digital Communications
Revised: July 2016
- Lead the Association's overall digital strategy development and implementation that includes all aspects of the organization's online presence including websites, social media, and bulk email programs.
- Maintain the Association's 501c3 websites including ccsa.org and ccsafamilies.org. Identify development needs to maintain and enhance functionality; scope requirements; engage vendors as appropriate; and ensure effective implementation. Work with Association teams to review; remove old content; update; and/or add new content.
- Implement strategies to ensure year over year growth in website.
- Manage ongoing search engine optimization work and enhancements to website navigation, homepage and mobile accessibility.
- Collaborate with IT on integration activities between the website and Salesforce as needed.
- Manage external teams for website support and development.
- Work with vendors to maintain website servers.
- Work in collaboration with content teams to enhance or develop new content areas as needed.
- Track website metrics for use with grant reports and for other reporting.
- Lead the organization's bulk email planning and distribution for all CCSA teams.
- Lead management of the email system (Marketo) including: manage relationship with vendor; provide training for staff; create templates and lists as appropriate; manage the system; including development of new processes and functionality; and issue emails
- Produce and publish weekly and monthly HTML e-newsletters in coordination with other team members and content submitters
- Produce and publish one-off routine and urgent bulk emails
- Create and manage various targeted email lists within our email system and Salesforce database
- Engage the broader charter school community and empower charter schools, parents and supporters to tell their own stories in ways that build support for charter schools and the movement's advocacy priorities.
- Enhance online mechanisms by which the public and policy makers access charter school stories.
- Assist with the development and implementation of a statewide and targeted regional awareness campaign to enhance public opinion and support of charters.
- Support and facilitate the smooth operations of the Communications team
- Act as the communications team's Strategic Planning Liaison (SPL).
- Assist SVP with team administration, specifically contracts and invoices.
- Act as team data lead and primary team interface with the DOIT team.
- Support the Association's overall communications objectives.
- Plan, organize and develop online experiences and online aspects of communications campaigns.
- Coordinate website launches and online communications activities as appropriate.
- Engage the charter school community and empower charter school parents, leaders and teachers to tell their stories in ways that build support for charter schools and the movement's advocacy priorities.
- Support the media relations, video and social media programs as appropriate.
- Consult with and advise Association staff on the most effective online/electronic means of informing the public and the staff on matters of particular interest and sensitivity.
- Provide guidance, training and support to staff and members on online communications topics.
- Stay abreast of new digital media trends and the overall digital environment.
- Perform related duties as assigned by the Senior Vice President of Communications or designee.
- BS/BA required (digital media, marketing, communications, journalism, design or related field), MBA preferred.
- Experience - 7-10 years of progressive digital strategy experience required. The ideal candidate for this position has managed or worked extensively with digital for electoral or issue-based campaigns.
- Track record of delivering multifaceted digitally driven campaigns from strategy through execution.
- Proven expertise for building an in-house digital team.
- Strong track record of leveraging data driven research/analysis to drive strategic direction and optimize marketing and advocacy programs.
- Creative thinker and innovator.
- Collaborative leader working in highly integrated team environment.
- Exceptional relationship building and people management skills as well as the ability to prioritize, multitask, focus, lead, influence and delegate while working in fast-paced and demanding situations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
Technical Skills Include
- Expertise with Content Management Systems (CMS) such as WordPress and Movable Type.
- Able to hand-code html, and have some familiarity with CSS. While we use a CMS, hand-coding is often required, particularly for bulk emails.
- Familiarity with bulk email systems. CCSA uses Marketo although experience with other systems such as Constant Contact, MailChimp, Vertical Response would be valuable.
- Familiarity with social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Hootsuite).
- Basic familiarity with Adobe Acrobat. Basic Photoshop/graphic editing skills (familiarity with layering and graphic optimization).
- Knowledge of: Salesforce; email-specific HTML; Google Analytics; and MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Public relations accreditation with the PRSA Universal Accreditation Board.
- Bilingual (Spanish).
- Understanding of education reform landscape in general and charter schools in particular.
How to Apply:
How to Apply: Please send your application materials including your cover letter and resume as one PDF or Word document.
Save the document as "your first name and last name" and email it as an attachment to: email@example.com. Please write Director Digital Communications in the subject line. Position will be open until filled.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. The California Charter Schools Association is an equal opportunity employer.
About the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA);
The California Charter Schools Association's vision is to increase student learning by growing the number of families choosing high quality charter public schools so that no child is denied the right to a great public education. Our mission is to ensure a million students attend charter public schools by 2022, with charter public schools outperforming non-charter public schools on every measure. We do this by serving as the advocacy organization that builds the policy environment needed to grow as quickly as possible the number of students attending high quality charter public schools. For more information, please visit our website at www.calcharters.org.
About the California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSA Advocates):
The California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSA Advocates) is a 501(c)(4) organization dedicated to increasing the involvement of the charter school community in the public policy arena, creating a pipeline of charter school supporters and activists, electing public officials who support California charter schools, and growing the political influence of the California charter school movement. The vision of the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) is to increase student learning by growing the number of families choosing high quality charter schools so that no child is denied the right to a great public education. The mission of Advocates is to increase the number of students attending quality charter schools in California as quickly as possible by creating a political environment that is supportive of charter schools. For more information, please visit www.ccsaadvocates.org.
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need: