Director, Parent Organizing, Southern California
Reports to: Statewide Parent Organizing
Posted: July, 2016
Location: Los Angeles
The Director, Parent Organizing, Southern California manages a team of parent organizers in the Southern California region. Parent Organizers recruit and train charter parents to build powerful teams of families in their community. These teams then develop and win campaigns on a variety of issues that matter for their students' education, from securing safe, modern school facilities to ensuring that legislators in Sacramento support school choice.
The Director, Parent Organizing position is responsible for managing, motivating, and developing the Southern California parent organizers. The position reports to Director, Statewide Parent Organizing and receives strategic direction from the Director, Organizing and Senior Vice President of Organizing. This position will be primarily based in the Los Angeles area.
About the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA)
The California Charter Schools Association is the membership and professional organization serving 1,230 charter public schools and more than 581,000 students in the state of California. The vision of the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) is to increase student learning by growing the number of families choosing high quality charter schools so that no child is denied the right to a great public education. The mission of CCSA is to have a million students attending charter public schools by 2022, with charter public schools outperforming non-charter public schools on every measure. For more information, please visit www.ccsa.org.
About the California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSA Advocates)
The California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSA Advocates) is a 501(c)(4) organization dedicated to increasing the involvement of the charter school community in the public policy arena, creating a pipeline of charter school supporters and activists, electing public officials who support California charter schools, and growing the political influence of the California charter school movement. The vision of the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) is to increase student learning by growing the number of families choosing high quality charter schools so that no child is denied the right to a great public education. The mission of Advocates is to increase the number of students attending quality charter schools in California as quickly as possible by creating a political environment that is supportive of charter schools.
- Management and Training: Develop and lead a team of highly successful parent organizers focused on building parent leaders and winning local issue campaigns
- Build and lead the mission-critical work around parent organizing of 6-10 parent organizers in the Southern California region
- Manage organizers as they actively engage charter school parents in investing in their leadership skills and organizing around charter school issues
- Lead the implementation and development of CCSA Families organizing model to ensure that parents are deeply engaged in CCSA Families' work and are highly effective champions for charter school issues in their communities
- In collaboration with the Trainer, Organizing, provide onboarding trainings to new parent organizers
- Complete a significant number of shadowing and coaching observations in the field every week
- Implement management and coaching strategies that lead parent organizers to meaningful parent-led advocacy and local issue campaigns. Advise on strategies and tactics parent organizers use in local issue campaigns
- Track the team's benchmarks, goals and overall progress in a database and through weekly check-ins
- Foster relationships with community based organizations, faith leaders, elected officials, civic and community leaders that lead to positive engagement of the community and neighborhoods where CCSA Families has a presence
- Have significant evening and weekend work during electoral season
- Other duties as assigned
- Significant management experience
- Fluent in Spanish
- 100% Follow-through: No dropped balls policy. Stay on top of specific tasks and consistently meet deadlines.
- Spirit of Yes: Embrace the obstacles that will pop up and be creative on how you come up with solutions. Embrace the changing landscape and adapt quickly.
- Sound Judgment: Maintain confidentiality of information, take ownership for day to day decision making and accept responsibility for outcomes.
- Tough Love: Organizing is hard work. You must know how to take care of your people and support them to do their jobs well. But you must also know how to hold your team accountable to their goals and push them to improve by giving feedback.
- Action-oriented: You must love getting people together to take action. You must be comfortable outside of your comfort zone and know how to motivate others to get out of theirs.
- Flexibility: Willingness to work flexible hours including occasional weeknights and weekends; ability to travel and work remotely; driver's license and access to a vehicle.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience in community organizing strategy and execution
- Political organizing, campaigning, lobbying, training or relevant experience
HOW TO APPLY
Please send the following to Sara Erickson, Director, Organizing at email@example.com with a subject line that reads: Director, Parent Organizing, Southern California.
- Cover letter answering the following questions:
- What is it about our mission that resonates with your experience and/or interests?
- What makes you an exceptional candidate for this position in particular?
- Where did you learn about this opportunity?
- List of Three References with phone numbers and emails (will only contact after notifying you)
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need: