Posted: August 11
Overview of Responsibilities
The Legal Secretary is responsible for a variety of tasks in support of CCSA's legal team. The ideal candidate will have litigation secretary experience. The Legal Secretary will report to the General Counsel/Senior Vice President of Legal Advocacy, along with the three attorneys making up the team. The Legal Secretary will work in the Sacramento office, but will be assigned to attorneys who work remotely across California.
Representative Duties/ Essential Duties
- Maintain CCSA MCLE provider records.
- Prepare and distribute materials for monthly attorney teleconference meetings and bi-annual attorney in-person meetings.
- Prepare Public Records Act ("PRA") requests for attorney review, monitor and track responses to PRA requests.
- Maintain database of member information for legal team purposes.
- Prepare data reports as needed for grant reporting, media requests, litigation documents.
- Prepare website and database updates, as needed and assigned.
- Participate in bi-annual CCSA staff retreats and annual charter schools conference.
- Assist CCSA and CCSA Advocates staff on priorities as needed.
- Proof/edit/format varied documents, including pleadings, and tables of authorities and tables of contents
- Coordinate all phases of preparation, filing and service of court filings
- Conduct legal research, including pulling cases and codes using Westlaw, California Code Search and other websites
- Cite-check cases and codes
- Prepare discovery
- Prepare and maintain litigation binders, including pleading, cases and codes, discovery, and hearing binders
- Maintain electronic litigation files.
- Other litigation-related assignments, as assigned and needed.
- Manage electronic legal team calendar, including scheduling conference calls, meetings, lunches, etc.
- Prepare monthly check requests for legal team invoices; maintain legal team budget-to-actuals spreadsheet.
- Prepare correspondence
- Copy and scan, as requested
- Receive and distribute mail and deliveries to team members working remotely.
- Prepare conference room for meetings, as needed.
- Assist with travel arrangements and expense requests. Other office duties for the legal team, as assigned and needed.
- College degree preferred
- Two years of litigation legal secretarial experience
- Administrative Assistant experience
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills and attention to detail; ability to follow instructions
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, proactively and flexibly within a remote team environment
- Strong time-management and prioritizing skills and the ability to coordinate multiple tasks concurrently
- Proficiency in Word, Outlook, Westlaw, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Pro
- Familiarity with document and data management systems, such as Salesforce, Box.com, Knack and Concordance.
- Candidate must have the ability and willingness to learn new skills and systems quickly.
How to Apply
Please submit the following as one PDF or Word document:
- Cover letter answering the following questions:
- What is it about our mission that resonates with your experience and/or interests?
- What makes you an exceptional candidate for this position in particular?
- Where did you learn about this opportunity?
- Salary History
- References (will only contact after notifying you)
Save the document as "your first name and last name - Legal Secretary" and email it as an attachment to: Resume_.email@example.com.
Please do not write anything on the subject line or in the email body. Position will be open until August 31, 2016 or until filled.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. The California Charter Schools Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need: