Posted: March 28, 2017
Location: Sacramento, San Diego, Oakland or Los Angeles Preferred
Overview of the Achievement and Performance Management Team:
As a leader in information about the California charter school movement, the Achievement and Performance Management team has authored significant original research detailing charter schools' academic performance. The team aims to become the nationally recognized experts on student achievement in California charter schools, tackling issues of equity and access and promoting understanding of the value California charter schools add to their students' achievement. The Achievement and Performance Management work is central to CCSA's accountability efforts. In order to ensure high quality schools of choice for all, CCSA is engaged in a three-pronged strategy to 1) replicate high performing charter schools, 2) support struggling schools, and 3) close chronically under-performing charter schools. To this end, the Achievement and Performance Management team helps implement, refine, and promote CCSA's Minimum Criteria for Renewal, which are used to inform CCSA's annual public call for non-renewal of chronically under-performing schools.
Description of Job:
In addition to conducting data cleaning and analysis for the CCSA Achievement and Performance Management (APM) team, the Research Analyst will be responsible for contributing to all major research publications and media responses of the APM team. The Analyst reports to the Managing Director of the Achievement and Performance Management (APM) Team. He/She is responsible for researching, analyzing and reporting data on the achievement and performance of California charter schools. The Analyst will help contribute to the research body of knowledge on charter schools, provide strategic and timely data to support and refine CCSA's programmatic, legislative and advocacy efforts, and help position CCSA as a leader on charter school data and research. The ideal candidate must be a strong writer and effective communicator. He/She must be exceedingly well organized, flexible, and able to juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and willing to work professionally within a team of diverse people and projects. Prior experience in data analysis, database management, and statistics is required, preferably in an education-related field. Demonstrated proficiency in STATA is strongly preferred; expertise in at least one statistical software package is required. Experience with California education data is preferred.
- Data cleaning, data mining, upkeep of internal database management systems, and analysis are the primary responsibility of this analyst. Collects, cleans, and analyzes performance data relative to charter and other schools; prepares written reports and data presentations based on the results.
- Responds to inquiries from CCSA staff and external researchers to prepare or provide data and analysis for legislative, policy, communications, advocacy and quality needs.
- Supports Achievement and Performance Management Team efforts to conceptualize, design, and implement cutting edge research on charter school efficacy, leveraging the Association's unique access to more than 1,000 charter schools to gather charter-specific data. Develops compelling reports that position the Association as the leading authority on charter school performance in California and an expert nationwide.
- Supports original research on California charter schools through data presentations, grant proposals, and knowledge briefs. Coordinates and implements project-specific data collection and entry activities for quantitative and qualitative data, including planning and scheduling such activities.
- Monitors external research at the state and national level as needed and helps analyze reports issued by other educational/research organizations for potential use and/or dissemination.
- Aids other team analysts in the development and implementation of member and data system surveys; participates in the analysis and reporting of results.
- Is a forward thinker who provides thought leadership and statistical expertise to help determine appropriate measures of academic success for the California charter movement.
- Responds to requests for information from within the Association relative to charter school performance; determines the most appropriate methods to research and obtain student achievement data, applies innovative, relevant and rigorous analysis to obtain results that will help to evaluate and improve California charter schools' achievement.
- Participates with CCSA staff to determine deliverables for grant applications, and appropriate information for marketing/publicity materials, knowledge papers and conferences and workshops.
- Maintains working knowledge of current data management, education/social science research and analysis through reading, participation in seminars and other educational opportunities, and personal contacts in the field.
- Extremely strong writing ability in a wide range of research types.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and complex projects.
- Detail orientated in data cleaning and analysis.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with demonstrated proficiency in data analysis, data mining, research and statistics, preferably in an education-related field.
- Demonstrated proficiency in STATA a must, with SPSS and GIS and/ or Tableau a plus
- Experience with educational data and norm-referenced assessment systems such as NWEA MAP is a plus.
- Minimum of a BA. MA strongly preferred
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse cultures, ages and backgrounds in a team environment.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude in high pressure situations.
- Knowledge of and experience working with charter schools
- A keen appreciation and understanding of the Association's mission and philosophy.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, and references, as one PDF or Word document. The cover letter should answer the following questions:
* What is it about our mission that resonates with your experience and/or interests? Please specifically talk to the mission of CCSA in your response.
* What makes you an exceptional candidate for this position? Please include both work and non-work experiences which prepare you for an entry level research analyst position with CCSA.
* Please include what you believe it means to be a researcher in an advocacy organization.
*Resume *References (will only be contacted after notifying you)
Save the document as "your first name and last name" - Research Analyst Job Opening and email it as an attachment to: APMCareers@ccsa.org
Please do not write anything in the email body.
Position will be posted until filled. Application reviews and interviews will begin as soon as qualified applications are received.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need:
From Our Blog
January 17, 2019
Do you have questions about the necessary credential requirements for hiring teachers under ESSA? This workshop will walk attendees through
January 16, 2019
The CCSA Communications Team is available to answer questions related to charter schools in Los Angeles.