Schedule a Legislative Visit
Take a trip up to Sacramento to visit your legislator during our annual Advocacy Day (or at any time of the year!). It is crucial for legislators to see a strong charter school presence in Sacramento, where they make budgetary, legislative, and regulatory decisions that directly affect you and your school each and every day.
If you cannot make it to Sacramento, consider inviting a legislator to visit your school. Hosting a legislator at your school helps build critical relationships for advocacy efforts, and during these hard budget times, illustrates that charter schools are doing more with less. If giving a tour of your school is not feasible, consider meeting with your legislator or their staff in their district office in your community.
CCSA is here to help. In addition to the video and legislative meeting tips below, we will help prepare you for any meeting or tour you schedule.
Contact Government Affairs to start the process. Please include the following information:
- Your name
- The name of your school
- The school's address and contact information
- Your preference for either a visit to the Capitol or to give your legislator a tour of your school
Legislative Meeting Tips
- Watch the video: Three tips to tell your charter story
- The Importance of Grassroots Legislative Advocacy
- Watch a school leader describe why he participates in grassroots advocacy efforts
- How to Conduct a Legislative Meeting
- Legislative Advocacy Toolkit (member resource)
- Charter Schools 101
- A Parent's Guide to Charter School Funding Challenges
Parents, teachers and school leaders, and students themselves can are very effective advocates for charter schools. Learning how to effectively tell your charter story - whether meeting with your legislator, attending a community event, talking with a reporter or chatting at the soccer sidelines - helps charter students everywhere.
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need:
From Our Blog
February 19, 2016
Earlier this month, a small group began an effort to get the "Elimination of Charter Schools" initiative on the California ballot...
January 8, 2016
Last week, Governor Jerry Brown introduced his proposed state budget for the 2016-17 fiscal year. The budget includes $5.4 billion more...