AB 917: Support
Changes Petition Signature Requirements
- Current law requires the signatures of parents or teachers when submitting a charter school petition, either for a new charter school or the conversion of an existing school, as a way of demonstrating support for the school.
- This bill requires that, if you're submitting teacher (certificated) signatures, you instead submit signatures of at least one-half of the total (certificated and classified) employees you estimate will be employed at the charter school during its first year (or one-half of the employees already employed, if it's a conversion).
Impact on Charter Schools
- Creates a broader pool of employees from which to gather petition signatures.
CCSA Action & What You Can Do
- CCSA supports this bill, which gives greater flexibility to charter school petitioners when seeking signatures. It also allows more opportunity to bring a broader group of stakeholders into support of the charter school and as a part of the school community.
- Watch for CCSA's Action Alerts and other calls to action on AB 917.
- Email your story about how this bill would affect you to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Related Information and Resources
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need:
From Our Blog
November 15, 2017
Geoffrey Canada to Serve as a Keynote Speaker at the 25th Annual California Charter Schools Conference
The 25th Annual California Charter Schools Conference will feature Geoffrey Canada, nationally known author, children's advocate and founder of Harlem
November 13, 2017
Don't miss this in-person workshop and webinar that will provide you with essential elements needed to build a strong HR