News Round-Up: Public School Choice 2.0 Final Vote
March 16, 2011
On Tuesday, the day of the vote, several parents camped outside LAUSD headquarters for the opportunity to speak during the board meeting in support of the charter school applicants.
At the end of the evening, the Board approved applications from the following schools: Alliance for College-Ready Public Schools, Aspire Public Schools, Camino Nuevo, Green Dot, Partnerships to Uplift Communities, and Synergy Charter Academy.
This means that 5,000 charter school seats will be open to students in LAUSD.
To read CCSA's president and CEO Jed Wallace's statement, click here.
In addition, several media outlets covered the story, from the late-night camp out to the final vote.
Here's some of the Public School Choice coverage:
- KABC, "LAUSD Board votes to allow charters for 13 schools"
- KCBS, "LAUSD Board Selects Operators for Several Campuses"
- Fox 11, "LA Board Of Education Chooses School Operators"
- KPCC AM, "LA Unified Votes on Administration of 13 Schools"
- Los Angeles Daily News, "Charter schools win out in latest round of reform effort"
- La Opinión, "LAUSD Da Apoyo A Las Charter"
Parent Camp-Out Coverage:
- KTLA, "Charter Parents Camp Outside LAUSD"
- KABC, "LAUSD board set to vote on who will operate 13 public schools"
- L.A. Times, "L.A. School Board to Decide Who Will Run 13 Campuses"
For an update on Public School Choice, and information on the upcoming Round 3, visit CCSA's Public School Choice web page
Press ContactIf you are a member of the news media, please contact Emily Bertelli at: (412) 559-8571 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also on: Facebook
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need: