20th Annual California Charter Schools Conference March 12-14: Raising the expectations of public schools and student achievement
March 13, 2013
Contact: Vicki Grenz
SAN DIEGO, California (Mar 6, 2013)--More than 3,500 charter leaders and supporters will gather to celebrate people, innovation and academic achievement in California's charter schools. With one in seven of the nation's charter schools located in California, the three-day annual conference draws the charter movement's best and brightest leaders.
CCSA Conference by the numbers:
1,063 California charter public schools
484,000 charter school students in California
70,000 students on charter wait lists
3,500 conference attendees
109 charter schools opened in 2012
35+ awards presented
220 exhibiting companies
Featured speakers include:
• Jed Wallace, President and Chief Executive Officer of the California Charter Schools Association
• Congressman George Miller, Senior Democrat of the House Education and Workforce Committee
• Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, former professional athlete, entrepreneur and nonprofit executive. Former Chief Executive Officer of St. HOPE
• Michelle Rhee, CEO and Founder, StudentsFirst. Founder, The New Teacher Project and former chancellor, District of Columbia Public Schools
• Penny Schwinn, Founder and Head of School at Capitol Collegiate Academy in Sacramento. Board member, County Board of Education; commissioner, County Parks and Recreation; and member, Youth Commission
• Geoffrey Canada, Children's Advocate and Founder and CEO of Harlem Children's Zone
The Charter Schools Conference has run annually for 20 years, offering resources, guidance and advocacy support to a charter movement that has grown to more than 1,000 schools serving 484,000 students..
Some participants will kick-off the conference activities on Monday, March 11. For a detailed schedule, please visit http://www.charterconference.org/2013/program/.
About the California Charter Schools Association
The California Charter Schools Association is the membership and professional organization serving 1,063 charter public schools and more than 484,000 students in the state of California. The Vision of the California Charter Schools Association is to empower parents and educators to unleash a new era of innovation within public education so that highly autonomous and accountable schools of choice provide quality learning opportunities for all California students. For more information, please visit www.ccsa.org.
Press ContactIf you are a member of the news media, please contact Emily Bertelli at: (412) 559-8571 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also on: Facebook
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need: