500 Members of California's Charter Public School Community to Join Forces at the State Capitol
May 4, 2015
(Sacramento, CA) - On May 5, the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) will host Advocacy Day, an annual event held during National Charter Schools Week when California's charter public school community joins forces to demonstrate its collective strength and rally behind urgent legislative opportunities.
On Advocacy Day, charter school leaders, teachers, parents and students will meet with legislators and take a clear stand against bills that strike at the heart of the charter school movement, including:
- AB 787 (Hernandez), an attack on charter school autonomy that would require school district authorizers to appoint the majority of charter school board members and create unnecessary work and additional liability for school districts.
- SB 322 (Leno), a threat to charter schools' ability to establish their own discipline and admission policies and ignores the original intent of the California Charter Schools Act of 1992.
Charter school supporters will also send clear messages to the legislature that, while California boasts a vibrant charter public school sector that is delivering strong results for students and parents, charter schools continue to face challenges above and beyond those facing traditional public schools in terms of finding adequate and appropriate facilities and ensuring funding equity. Learn more about current legislation impacting California charter schools.
Parent demand for quality school choice options continues to grow each year. This year, a record 158,000 students are on waitlists to attend charter public schools across the state. These numbers clearly indicate that many more families would choose the charter public school option if there were sufficient space to serve them.
- 500 Charter School Supporters, Leaders, Parents, and Students
- Assemblymember Matt Dababneh (D-45)
- Assemblymember Brian Jones (R-71)
- Assemblymember Sebastian Ridley-Thomas (D-45)
- Jed Wallace, President and CEO, CCSA
- Myrna Castrejón, Senior Vice President, Government Affairs, CCSA
- Student performances by:
- Language Academy of Sacramento Folklórico
- Anahuacalmecac International University Prep's Xinaxtemaxtiloyan Danza Azteca Chichimeca de las Semillas del Pueblo
- CCSA's Annual Advocacy Day Event
- Tuesday, May 5, 2015
- Morning Program: 10:00 am - 10:45 am Student Performance, Speakers and Welcome
- Afternoon Program: 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Legislative Meetings, Youth Symposium
- Closing Program: 4:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- Tent Near the West Steps of the State Capitol
- 10th Street and Capitol Avenue, Sacramento, CA
Press ContactIf you are a member of the news media, please contact Emily Bertelli at: (412) 559-8571 or email@example.com.
Also on: Facebook
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need: