Charter Public School Closures & Resources Related to Wildfires in LA and Ventura Counties
December 8, 2017
We expect most Los Angeles area schools to reopen on Monday, December 11. For updated information on charter public school closures in LA and Ventura Counties, please reference the Los Angeles Unified School District and the Ventura County Office of Education websites, and/or contact your charter school directly.
For families in Los Angeles, please check LAUSD.net as well as contact your charter school directly for information about daytime programs and meals available for students during school closures.
Evacuation centers are open for families and community members at the following locations:
- Ventura County Fairgrounds at Miners Building (Red Cross - Includes an Animal Shelter for all types of animals) - 10 W Harbor Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001
- Branford Recreation Center: 13306 Branford St, Arleta, 91331
- Sylmar Recreation Center: 13109 Borden Ave, Sylmar, CA 91342
- Van Nuys Sherman Oaks Recreation Center - (818) 783-5121 - 14201 Huston St. Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
For schools impacted by the wildfires, please note the following resources from the State Superintendent of Public Instruction:
- Guidance and resources on wildfires from the California Department of Education are available at this webpage.
- Fire recovery resources for schools are available at this webpage.
- Per the State Superintendent: Approval of school closures and material decreases in attendance may be requested by submitting two copies of Form J-13A. For more guidance on ADA relief, see the CDE's Management Advisory 90-01 on ADA Credit During Periods of Emergency.
For updates, community members can reference the following public agency resources:
- The Angeles National Forest Supervisor Office: @Angeles_NF or hotline (626) 574-5208
- Los Angeles Fire Department: @LAFD
- LA County: @CountyofLA
- LAUSD: @LASchools
- LAUSD School Police: @LASchoolPolice
- LAUSD Board Member Kelly Gonez: @Kelly4LASchools
- LAUSD Board Member Nick Melvoin: @nickmelvoin
- Ventura County Fire Department: @VCFD
- Ventura County Office of Education: @VenturaCOE
Press ContactSacramento and Central Valley
Britt Chord Parmley
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need: