Managing Director, Finance
Position: Managing Director, Finance
Location: Los Angeles Preferred
Overview of Responsibilities
The Managing Director, Finance will join the California Charter Schools Association's (CCSA) Finance and Development Team which manages the financial and fundraising operations for both CCSA, a 501(c)3 organization and CCSA Advocates (CCSAA), a 501(c)4 organization. This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and will supervise several members of the Finance team. The Managing Director, Finance will play a key role in budgeting, the annual independent audit process, and compliance reporting to various regulatory entities. Other responsibilities include oversight of accounts payable, accounts receivable, and the month and year-end closing process as well as the implementation of a new contract management system. The ideal candidate is a collaborative team player with deep finance and accounting experience who is exceedingly detail-oriented, well organized, and flexible. An ability to work well within a diverse and complex organization under pressure to meet demanding deadlines is also essential.
- Supervise assigned staff, providing coaching and feedback to achieve strong outcomes.
- Assist the CFO in the annual budgeting process and lead the quarterly budget forecast process for CCSA, including 35 program budgets totaling over $26M.
- Manage the annual independent audit for CCSA and CCSA Advocates, including reviewing and preparing schedules for auditors and fielding requests during on-site fieldwork in close coordination with team members.
- Review and approve various month-end and year-end reconciliations and work-papers for CCSA and CCSA Advocates.
- Review and approve accounts payable batches for CCSA and CCSA Advocates, with high level of attention to proper general ledger coding, expense policies, and GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles).
- Compile and provide quality review of data for preparation of quarterly reports to the Fair Political Practices Commission and other localities as needed on CCSA's lobbying activities.
- Support contract management, including implementation of a new database system to field new contract requests, generate electronic signatures, and analyze financial obligations.
- Oversee vendor management and 1099 reporting.
- Monitor and maintain month-end closing dashboards to ensure information is current and accurate.
- Prepare weekly written report on Finance team activities for the Executive Team.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of financial policies, procedures, and systems.
- Cross-train in other Finance team responsibilities and provide support as needed.
- Support the success of policy-oriented advocacy campaigns led by CCSA and political campaigns led by CCSA Advocates' sponsored political action committees.
- A Bachelor's Degree in a related field is required. A Master's Degree in Business, Accounting, or Public Administration is preferred.
- Minimum of eight years of experience with increasing levels of responsibility, preferably in the nonprofit sector. At least several years of management experience is required.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Deep understanding of GAAP and internal controls.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and accounting software systems, with experience in Microsoft Dynamics GP preferred.
- Highest regard for confidentiality and ethical standards.
- Professional attitude and strong work ethic.
- Superior follow-through, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Very effective oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with lobbying and/or political compliance reporting a plus.
- A keen appreciation for CCSA's mission and self-identification with CCSA's work values of passion, impact, communications and judgment.
How to Apply
Please send both, cover letter and resume, as one PDF or Word document. The cover letter should answer the following questions:
- What is it about our mission that resonates with your experience and/or interests?
- What makes you an exceptional candidate for this position in particular?
- Where did you learn about this opportunity?
Save the document as "your first name and last name" - Managing Director, Finance and email it as an attachment to: FDCareers@ccsa.org. Please do not write anything on the subject line or in the email body.
Position will be open until May 31, 2018 or until filled.
About the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) (501c3)
The California Charter Schools Association is the membership and professional organization serving over 1,275 charter public schools and more than 630,000 students in the state of California. The Vision of the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) is to increase student learning by growing the number of families choosing high quality charter schools so that no child is denied the right to a great public education. The Mission of CCSA is to have a million students attending charter public schools by 2022, with charter public schools outperforming non charter public schools on every measure.
About the California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSA Advocates) (501c4)
The California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSA Advocates) is a 501(c)(4) organization dedicated to increasing the involvement of the charter school community in the public policy arena, creating a pipeline of charter school supporters and activists, electing public officials who support California charter schools, and growing the political influence of the California charter school movement. The Vision of the California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSAA) is to increase student learning by growing the number of families choosing high quality charter schools so that no child is denied the right to a great public education. The Mission of Advocates is to increase the number of students attending quality charter schools in California as quickly as possible by creating a political environment that is supportive of charter schools. For more information, please visit www.ccsaadvocates.org/.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need:
From Our Blog
April 23, 2018
CCSA congratulates [El Camino Real Charter High School](http://ecrchs.net/)'s Academic Decathalon team for its eighth overall win, and [Leemore Middle College
April 23, 2018
The California Collaborative for Educational Excellence (CCEE) invites charter schools and charter management organizations to participate in a statewide survey