Managing Director, Organizing, Los Angeles
Position: Managing Director, Organizing, Los Angeles
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Description of Job
Lead a team of 8 Los Angeles parent organizers and 2 directors who organize charter school families to wield significant political power in their communities.
Overview of Responsibilities
The Managing Director, Organizing, Los Angeles will develop, execute, and own strategic organizing campaigns in Los Angeles. You will manage a team of 8 organizers and 2 directors, serving as the internal advocate for this team and the families they develop, and driving collaboration across multiple cross-functional teams to achieve ambitious results.
You understand and are committed to leadership development and team building, not mobilization for short-term impact. You have solid organizing experience and a proven track record of helping teams achieve great things. You exude a rare mix of visionary leadership and "intrapreneurial" management - you are hyper-focused on creating team clarity and structure and are committed to continual development. You manage up and sideways incredibly well as you drive results.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to make a long-term impact on underserved families while working in a fast-paced senior leadership role and high-impact organization.
- Develops and executes organizing campaigns with internal CCSA partners around the protection and expansion of charter schools
- Creates and executes strategy for the team, identifying issues that align with families' priorities and those of CCSA
- Leads cross-functional teams in goal setting, decision-making, planning, progress-monitoring, and reflecting
- Sets direction and drives results across a team of 2 directors and 8 organizers through a variety of methods (data tracking and analysis, campaign plans, strategy meetings, check-ins, performance plans, feedback sessions, retreats)
- Coaches and develops organizing directors as great managers, providing modeling, observations in the field, and constant feedback
- Develops external partnerships with leaders in the education reform community of LA, enhancing CCSA Families credibility
- Performs other duties as required to support the CCSA 501(c)3 organization and its mission
- Provides support, as appropriate, to CCSA Advocates - CCSA's tandem 501(c)4 organization - with campaign efforts at the local and state level
- 8+ years of experience in education/youth advocacy or organizing
- A degree from a four-year college or university
- Experience leading and building teams within complex organizations
- 4+ years organizing experience a plus
- Highly motivated and extremely proactive - constantly takes on projects and identifies problems and opportunities Relationship-oriented with excellent interpersonal skills, readily develops trust and credibility across all levels and can motivate others
- Exceptionally organized and detail-oriented; agile and able to manage competing priorities with grace and humor, focus and patience
- Great writing and communication skills
- Expert in MS Office
- Spanish-speaking preferred
How to Apply
Please send both cover letter and resume combined as one single PDF or Word document. The cover letter should answer the following questions:
- What is it about our mission that resonates with your experience and/or interests?
- What makes you an exceptional candidate for this position in particular?
- Where did you learn about this opportunity?
Save the document as "your first name and last name" - "Managing Director, Organizing, Los Angeles" and email it as an attachment to: OrganizingCareers@ccsa.org. Please do not write anything in the subject line or in the email body.
Position will be open until filled.
About the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) (501c3) The California Charter Schools Association is the membership and professional organization serving over 1,275 charter public schools and more than 630,000 students in the state of California. The vision of the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) is to increase student learning by growing the number of families choosing high quality charter schools so that no child is denied the right to a great public education. The mission of CCSA is to have a million students attending charter public schools by 2022, with charter public schools outperforming non charter public schools on every measure.
About the California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSA Advocates) (501c4) The California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSA Advocates) is a 501(c)(4) organization dedicated to increasing the involvement of the charter school community in the public policy arena, creating a pipeline of charter school supporters and activists, electing public officials who support California charter schools and growing the political influence of the California charter school movement. The vision of the California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSAA) is to increase student learning by growing the number of families choosing high quality charter schools so that no child is denied the right to a great public education. The mission of Advocates is to increase the number of students attending quality charter schools in California as quickly as possible by creating a political environment that is supportive of charter schools. For more information, please visit http://www.ccsaadvocates.org/.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need:
From Our Blog
December 3, 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Media Contact Caity Heim, California Charter Schools Association firstname.lastname@example.org 916-926-8234 Paradise Charter Schools Celebrate the First Day
November 30, 2018
Paradise Charter Schools Thank Governor Brown for Signing Executive Order Helping Fire-Impacted Schools
Today, the Paradise charter school community thanked Governor Jerry Brown for signing an [executive order](https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/11.28.18-EO-B-58-18.pdf) that will help the area's