Parent Organizer, San Bernardino
Reports to: Director, Parent Organizing, Southern California
Location: San Bernardino
Posted: June, 2015
The Organizing team's vision is to ensure that all children have great charter schools to choose from. CCSA Families is the statewide parent organizing arm of the California Charter Schools Association. Our parent organizing team develops parent leadership and mobilizes parent teams around local charter school issues and local school board elections.
CCSA is hiring a parent organizer in the San Bernardino region. The Parent Organizer, San Bernardino organizes families and manages teams of families at charter schools in the San Bernardino County area. Parent Organizers are responsible for identifying, recruiting, educating and empowering families and teams of families to hold elected officials accountable and to advance charter school issues. The position reports to the Director, Parent Organizing, Southern California and receives strategic direction from the Director, Statewide Parent Organizing and Senior Vice President of Organizing.
Overview of Responsibilities:
Recruitment and Organization Building
- Recruit and develop a core group of school leaders, parents and families to mobilize on advocacy and election issues
- Develop and execute recruitment plan with measurable goals and key benchmarks
- Engage community leaders and organizations on charter school issues and initiatives
- Develop and execute voter education and mobilization plans for targeted campaigns
- Plan and execute targeted actions such as rallies, events and letter writing campaigns to support issue advocacy initiatives, and local elected officials and candidates in conjunction with CCSA Advocates
Management and Training
- Provide leadership trainings and materials to core group of supporters
- Facilitate collaboration between families and schools with state and local representatives
- Develop educational materials and training modules for core supporters and stakeholders
- Manage information through a database management system
- Represent the organization at neighborhood, school, and community meetings
- 100% Follow Through: No dropped balls policy. Stay on top of specific tasks and consistently meet deadlines.
- Spirit of Yes: Embrace the obstacles that will pop up and be creative on how you come up with solutions. Embrace the changing landscape and adapt quickly.
- Comfort with data: We track what we do every day to hold ourselves accountable and to inform our strategy. You must be motivated to use data.
- Action-oriented: You must love getting people together to take action. You must be willing to step outside of your comfort zone and know how to motivate others to get out of theirs.
- Flexibility: Willingness to work flexible hours including occasional weeknights and weekends; ability to travel and work remotely; driver's license and access to a vehicle.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish)
Nice to Haves:
- 2-5 years experience
- Experience in community, labor, political or parent organizing
- Campaigning, lobbying, training or relevant experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred
How to Apply
Please send the following to Sara Erickson at firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line that reads (exactly as written): Parent Organizer, San Bernardino.
- Cover letter answering the following questions:
- What is it about our mission that resonates with your experience and/or interests?
- What makes you an exceptional candidate for this position in particular?
- Where did you learn about this opportunity?
- List of Three References with phone numbers and emails (will only contact after notifying you)
This position will remain open until filled.
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need:
From Our Blog
January 16, 2018
CCSA released the following statement urging members of the United States Congress to recognize the importance and significance of permanently
January 16, 2018
Learn about AB 168, the purpose of the law, and how it applies to charter schools.