Regional Director, Greater Sacramento and Northern California Counties
Position: Regional Director, Greater Sacramento and Northern California Counties
Location: Sacramento, California
Job Description: The Regional Director, as part of the Regional Advocacy team, leads charter school policy and supports member schools' interests in the areas of school authorization, growth, renewals, funding equity and facilities. This position works closely with charter school operators, community organizations, and local elected officials to maximize the positive impact of charter schools in the region and to ensure that all students and families have access to high quality school options.
Overview of Responsibilities: The Northern California Regional Advocacy team supports over 200 charter schools across the region. This position works directly with the Northern & Central California Managing Regional Director to support charter members on CCSA's policy campaigns and address policy issues specifically in Sacramento City Unified School District (SCUSD), Sacramento County School Districts, and Placer County School Districts. The work will focus on building relationships with key elected officials in SCUSD, other local school districts, and at the county school districts level to lay the foundation for new areas of charter growth in the region and remove barriers to operation and success.
Policy Making and Advocacy: Manage charter-related policy matters at the Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE), SCUSD and other key school districts.
- Build and manage relationships with the charter school community to inform and advocate on behalf of the charter community and CCSA's policy positions.
- Organize and mobilize charter school leaders toward common policy outcomes at the county and district level.
- Drive efforts towards increasing collective action by developing structures to ensure active charter leader engagement in policy agenda.
Strategic Planning: Support and actively engage in the development, promotion, and adoption of the team's strategic priorities to ensure they are aligned with CCSA's broader priorities and are reflective of the charter community's needs.
- Create project plans to manage key policy initiatives, regularly tracking progress to goal.
- Use exceptional judgment to determine how limited resources should be spent to achieve maximum impact.
Relationship Building: Cultivate relationships with key elected and appointed officials at the county and district level and build and manage relationships with charter leaders in support of the team's advocacy agenda.
- Focus strategically on policy initiatives to create supportive legislative and policy environments and leverage our members' collective advocacy power.
- Work strategically with charter schools in their authorization/renewal campaigns and provide resources to support our members in developing and operating high-quality charter schools.
Political Engagement: Engage in non-partisan and partisan electoral work including strategic planning and implementation under the umbrella of CCSA Advocates, our electoral arm.
- Engage charter leaders on electoral issues including district, county and statewide races and ballot measures.
- Actively identify potential candidates and refer them to training resources and materials.
- Collaborate closely with parent and youth organizers in the region to develop outreach and mobilization strategies.
- Provides support, as appropriate, to CCSA Advocates - CCSA's tandem 501(c)4 organization - with campaign efforts at the local and state level.
Cross Team Collaboration: Partner with internal CCSA teams to align resources and maximize advocacy work and outcomes.
- Cultivate relationships with teams to establish clear channels for effective communication and project planning.
- Identify shared goals and a vision for accountability to achieve these goals.
What Success Looks Like
To achieve success in this role, qualified candidates will be able to consistently meet and exceed these goals:
- Establish healthy policy environment for high quality charter schools to grow; whereby members have equitable access to resources (e.g. facilities, funding, and technology) and authorizers and schools work in partnership to provide high quality options for all public-school students.
- Facilitate strong charter leader networks across the county and lead members to engage in collective actions that move the policy needle forward.
- Actively demonstrate these core work values: passion, impact, judgment and communication.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience
- Demonstrated passion for education reform and understanding of local and statewide education reform climate
- Experience working to motivate a variety of constituents
- Exceptional leadership and relationship-building skills
- Exceptional strategic thinking and planning skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with Excel, Salesforce and workflow management systems
- Exceptional organizational skills and a self-starter
- Strong political experience
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and references as one PDF or Word document.
Cover letter answering the following questions:
- What is it about our mission that resonates with your experience and/or interests?
- What makes you an exceptional candidate for this position? Please highlight any previous experience with education organizations in the Sacramento and Greater Sacramento Counties, if applicable.
- Where did you learn about this opportunity?
- References (will only contact after notifying you)
Save the document as "your first name and last name" - Regional Director, Greater Sacramento and Northern California Counties and email attachment to: RACareers@ccsa.org. Please do not write anything in the subject line or in the email body.
Position will be open until filled.
About the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA)
The California Charter Schools Association is the membership and professional organization serving 1,260 charter public schools and more than 630,000 students in the state of California. The vision of the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) is to increase student learning by growing the number of families choosing high quality charter schools so that no child is denied the right to a great public education. The mission of CCSA is to have a million students attending charter public schools by 2022, with charter public schools outperforming non-charter public schools on every measure.
About the California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSA Advocates)
The California Charter Schools Association Advocates (CCSA Advocates) is a 501(c)(4) organization dedicated to increasing the involvement of the charter school community in the public policy arena, creating a pipeline of charter school supporters and activists, electing public officials who support California charter schools, and growing the political influence of the California charter school movement. The vision of the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) is to increase student learning by growing the number of families choosing high quality charter schools so that no child is denied the right to a great public education. The mission of Advocates is to increase the number of students attending quality charter schools in California as quickly as possible by creating a political environment that is supportive of charter schools.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need:
From Our Blog
December 3, 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Media Contact Caity Heim, California Charter Schools Association email@example.com 916-926-8234 Paradise Charter Schools Celebrate the First Day
November 30, 2018
Paradise Charter Schools Thank Governor Brown for Signing Executive Order Helping Fire-Impacted Schools
Today, the Paradise charter school community thanked Governor Jerry Brown for signing an [executive order](https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/11.28.18-EO-B-58-18.pdf) that will help the area's