Alameda County is the 7th-most populous county in the state of California and among the most racially diverse in the US. Currently, the county is home to over 50 charter public schools. The majority of these schools are operating within Oakland Unified School District. Oakland, the county seat, is home to 44 charter public schools that serve over 13,000 students. The area represents one of the highest performing charter sectors in the state and the largest percentage of public students served by charters in any urban district in California.
As a whole, Oakland charter schools are continuing to meet student need and exceed district results for every subgroup of students. Oakland charter schools are achieving significant results compared to district-operated schools while serving a higher percentage of English Language Learners and nearly the same percentage of socioeconomically disadvantaged students.
Oakland Charter Academy
Oakland Charter Academy (OCA) is the flagship of the Amethod Public Schools organization. Located in the Fruitvale District, it is the only National Blue Ribbon in East Oakland. OCA's goal is to prepare students to compete and excel in a competitive global marketplace. OCA opened in the fall 1994 as Oakland's first charter school.
Envision Academy of Arts and Technology
Envision Academy of Arts and Technology (EA) is a charter high school serving 350 9th-12th graders in Oakland. The school is dedicated to transforming students' lives by preparing them for success in college and in life. Envision Academy offers students a rigorous academic experience and a diverse, compassionate community in which to grow. The curriculum incorporates college prep classes, project based learning and arts and technology. Students build connections to specific 21st century leadership skills that are critical toward college and career success. They are to: communicate powerfully, collaborate productively, complete projects effectively and think critically.
Oakland charter schools are:
- Non-profit, community-based organizations
- Among the highest performing in the state
- High-quality and consistently perform well on standardized math and ELA exams,
- Successfully graduating 82% of students as college ready
Charters and our community partners in Oakland work together on several key policy issues:
- Healthy authorizing environments at the district and county levels
- Access to public funds such as parcel tax revenues
- Access to public school facilities
- Sustainability of district partnerships
- Access to support regarding special education services
Report: Oakland Middle and High Charter Schools & College-Readiness
The California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) released a report on Oakland middle and high schools which shows that Oakland charter schools are renewing the promise of a high-quality public education and changing what is possible for students of all demographic backgrounds.
For more information about Oakland or Alameda County, contact Patrick Walsh, Regional Director, Alameda County.
- Overview: Oakland Charter Public Schools
- Fact Sheet: Oakland Charter Schools and College-Readiness - Also available in Spanish
- Alameda County Office of Education
- Alameda Unified School District
- Berkeley Unified School District
- Fremont Unified School District
- Hayward Unified School District
- Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District
- Oakland Unified School District
- San Lorenzo Unified School District
Alameda County Oakland Campaign: Telling the Charter School Story Despite high levels of awareness and support for charter schools, not enough Californians have experience with charters schools nor do they know how charters are changing lives and communities. We need to change that. As a result we are running a campaign in conjunction with our members to share the charter school story in Oakland. Members, learn more. Additionally, we have compiled a list of local community leaders and resources that may also be helpful.
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need:
From Our Blog
April 15, 2016
Since 2006, Envision Academy of Arts & Technology, a charter public school, has prepared high-school students to be effective and creative...
March 8, 2016
The California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) filed suit today against the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) to obtain a court order...