Growth and Enrollment
Momentum in California's charter sector builds each year as parents choose the charter public school option in ever greater numbers. Despite this growth, there is still an overwhelming unmet parent demand for quality school options in California.
Evidence over the past five years argues that public support of charter public schools remains strong based on growth in charter school enrollment and polling data. This growth of charter schools has occurred during a period when charter public schools have been held more accountable than traditional public schools and have strengthened their performance, especially with historically underserved students.
By the Numbers
- California: State with the most charter schools and charter school students in the country
- 660,000: Students enrolled in charter schools
- 1,323: Charter schools in California
- 70: Equivalent of new charter schools opened in 2018-19 school year (63 new startups and replications and seven planned significant expansions of existing schools, such as a K-5 elementary school adding the equivalent of a middle school by expanding to grades 6-8)
- 30,000: Estimated number of new charter school students in 2018-19
- 25: New charter schools in the Greater LA region
- 17: New charter schools in the Bay Area region
- 68: Number of schools that closed in 2017-18. Of these 68 schools:
- 10 were re-opened under a new school code
- 5 were merged with another school
- 53 truly closed or returned to traditional
Historical Information: "In the News"
- 2018-19 Press Kit
- 2017-18 Press Kit
- 2015-16 Press Kit
- 2014-15 Press Kit
- 2013-14 Press Kit
- 2012-13 Press Kit
- 2011-12 Press Kit
- 2010-11 Press Kit
- 2009-10 Press Kit
History of California's Charter School Movement
In 1992, California approved the Charter Schools Act. California was the second state in the nation to pass a charter school law after Minnesota. The state of California has the most charter public schools and charter public school students in the United States.
Start a Charter School
CCSA offers a variety of supports for teams planning and preparing to open charter schools. Visit the Starting a Charter section of our website for access to information about how to open a charter school, or the Membership section for details about the specialized services CCSA can provide school developers.
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need:
From Our Blog
January 16, 2019
The CCSA Communications Team is available to answer questions related to charter schools in Los Angeles.
January 15, 2019
CCSA: Deberíamos estar marchando juntos en Sacramento para obtener más fondos escolares para todos los niños
*PARA PUBLICACIÓN INMEDIATA * Martes 15 de enero de 2019 *Contacto con los medios: * Caity Heim 916-926-8234 firstname.lastname@example.org NOTA: