Skip To Content

California Charter Schools Association Celebrates Landmark Legislation Banning For-Profit Charter Schools

August 27, 2018

SACRAMENTO, CA - The California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) today celebrated a ban on for-profit charter schools throughout California, after Governor Jerry Brown signed Assembly Bill (AB) 406.

While 99 percent of all charter schools in California operate as non-profit organizations, this new law will ensure that the remaining 1 percent of for-profit institutions will be shut down.

"With support from CCSA, the Governor sent a clear message today: There's no room for profits in public education." said Jed Wallace, president and CEO, CCSA. "Charter schools are an integral part of California's public school system. We are thrilled that our state has embraced a thriving charter school sector that is public, free, open to all, and 100 percent operated by non-profit organizations."

The passage of AB 406 created a unique coalition, rarely seen in education policy where CCSA, representing over 1200 charter public schools in California, and the California Federation of Teachers (CFT), representing thousands of public school teachers came together to support this legislation.

A broad alliance across the state also supported AB 406 including the California Teachers Association, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, the Association of California School Administrators, the California Labor Federation, the California School Boards Association, the California School Employees Association and the California State PTA.

With the Governor's signature, AB 406 will go into effect on July 1, 2019.

Media Contact:
Brittany Parmley